April 1, 2010

Wetting my Whistler

Greetings from the Great White North, eh. For the most part, it's hard to think of Canada as a foreign country, but considering how cold it is in Whistler (snowing every day in late March) and how expensive a six pack of beer is (about $12, and the US-Canadian exchange rate is virtually even!), this feels pretty foreign.

But their flag is red and white, so this still qualifies for red, white, and brew.

I'll say one thing for craft brewers here, they sure are up on their terroir. I bought a sampler pack from Rickard's, unaware at the time it's an imprint brand of Molson. The sampler had a Red (red ale), White (white ale), and Dark (porter brewed with maple syrup, though it hardly looked or tasted porter-ly).

When that ran out, I got a sixer of Granville Island Brewing Kitsalano Maple Cream Ale. Again, where's the maple?

In search of real maple syrup flavor, third time's a charm. I got two bombers of Cannery Brewing Maple Stout. The Web site says it's brewed with real maple syrup though the label lists among the ingredients "maple flavour." Still, it went great with our Nanaimo bars.

As for Cannery's Blackberry Porter and the awesomest named beer of all time, Russell Brewing IP'Eh, I'll have to wait til I share these with the hosers back home.

Take off, eh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aha, I now see why you weren't impressed with the local microbrews on Twitter. Drinking Rickard's/Granville Island ends up being a pretty disappointing experience.

Cannery is only alright, and Russell used to be great, then got terrible, and now is upping their game again. Their porter is not bad.

If you can find them though, the local BC brews I really recommend are Driftwood, Swans and Red Racer. The newish Gulf Islands Brewing is also good, but less available. And Tree will do in a pinch, if you can't find the others.

- Dave

Derrick Peterman said...

I had the same experience with Rickard's Red, thinking I was trying something local, and ending up having a rather ordinary macro-brew. It's a small brewery in Ontario, so you may not find it in British Columbia, but Creemore Springs Premium Lager is excellent, one of the best I've had.

You're a long way from San Diego!